To my surprise when I was trying to set up a new Windows laptop was an error message saying, “We’re sorry, Microsoft Office installer encountered a problem because you have these Click-to-Run installer based Office programs installed on your computer…” At that time I was trying to install Microsoft Visio 2016 on a laptop with Office 2016 (Click-to-Run version) installed. I spent some time trying to get it to work and this post shares the latest way you can circumvent such restriction.
As a side note, Click-to-Run version is the Microsoft Office software package you download and install to your computer from www.office.com. There’s no CD, or .exe file that you run from your computer.
Before we get into the steps that will let us go our way, I’d like to point you to a link that shows Microsoft’s supported package combination. On that Technet post, you’ll see a similar table:
Don’t lose heart even though this is the case now, because we can still get both Visio 2016 and Office 2016 Click-to-Run installed on the same computer, and here’s how:
1. Download the most current version of Office Deployment Tool from Microsoft Download Center.
2. Run the .exe file you just downloaded, which will extract a couple of files – setup.exe and configuration.xml – to your computer. For ease of access, I just saved them on a new folder on my desktop.
3. Open this article from Microsoft and locate the PIDKEY of the software you would like to install.
4. Open and use this github page to get the contents of the XML. Here’s a sample of what I did:
5. Combine the PIDKEY from Microsoft’s article and the github code in the configuration.xml file. Here’s how my .xml file look like now:
<Configuration> <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly" PIDKEY="NY48V-PPYYH-3F4PX-XJRKJ-W4423"> <Product ID="VisioStdXVolume"> <Language ID="en-us"/> </Product> </Add> </Configuration>
6. Open Command prompt, navigate to the folder where you saved the two extracted files, and then execute this command:
setup /configure configuration.xml
- I was trying to install Visio 2016 Standard using an ISO, and Office 2016 Click-to-Run version is already installed on my computer.
- Internet connection is required for this to work